MDOT to convert to J - Turn Intersection at 45 and 145 beginning this week
This week, work will begin to convert the median crossover into a partial J-Turn intersection. This will only allow left turns from U.S. 45. Vehicles from State Route 145 will not be able to enter the crossover. The crossover conversion will be accomplished using snap-back delineators, striping and signage.
For the past several months, MDOT has been evaluating the intersection of Highway 145 and 45 in Clarke County for future safety enhancement options. MDOT has already made numerous safety improvements to the intersection to further alert motorists of the approaching stop. These enhancements include:
• updated striping and installing rumble bars 12 years ago
• flashing beacons over two stop signs
• increasing the size of the stop signs from 36 inches to 48 inches
• doubling the amount of stop signs to have one sign on each side of the roadway at each entrance to the intersection
• in June, stop signs were replaced with illuminated LED stop signs and divided highway signs were added
• last month, replaced existing stop ahead signs with new stop ahead signs to improve retro reflectivity
Unfortunately, there have been incidents where motorists have not properly followed the traffic control devices in place and have failed to yield. MDOT depends on law enforcement agencies to enforce regulatory signage that is installed at intersections.
MDOT estimates construction of the permanent, partial J-Turn would cost approximately $1 million. The temporary J-Turn will remain in place until plans are finalized and a project is let to construction for the permanent
MDOT advises motorists to obey the speed limit, come to a complete stop at the intersection, look both ways before crossing and always remember to drive distraction free and buckled up ensuring everyone in the vehicle is wearing the proper seatbelt. Motorists are reminded to be on high alert for roadside workers as the temporary J-Turn is installed.
MDOT provides safe driving tips to the traveling public, including a video demonstration on how to safely navigate a J-Turn intersection at GoMDOT.com/drivesmartms.